Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seaplane won't hold still at idle (Read 1904 times)
11th Dec, 2010 at 5:37pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

I am modeling the Convair R3Y Tradewind.  I have the top end flight dynamics where I want; re cruise speed, top speed, altitude, etc..  However, at idle it slowly accelerates to a top speed of about 35 knots .  This is a turbo prop and I can't figure out where to reduce the idle speed or what other values I should adjust.  How do I get this thing to sit still?  I started with the .cfg and .air file from my earlier Saunders Roe SR-45 which did not show this behavior.

Thanks,  Paul

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 16th Dec, 2010 at 5:12am

Rick_Piper   Offline
LDV Engineer
No thanks!

Hi Paul

Send me an alpha/beta whatever and i will take a look mate.

The FS Turboprop engine model is really bad.
if you set them as a Jet they work superbly but half the gauges don't function! Embarrassed

you should be able to see my e mail address in my profile.
Regards
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 16th Dec, 2010 at 4:22pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Hey, Rick,

Long time no see!  Thanks for responding.  I was going to post in a day or two (after I got some more flying under the belt) and say I had one solution to the problem.  I really couldn't find parameters that I thought made sense except one.  I went to the propeller section of the .cfg file and changed the beta_min statement to beta_min=1.0.  The SDK says this means I set the idle pitch to 1 degree.  (It was 15).   Well, that seems to work and I have not found any nasty side effects, yet.

Best,  Paul

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 1st Jul, 2011 at 8:01pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

The FSX turboprop simulation has engine Condition Levers that should be in Ground Idle when you do not want to move on the ground or water. They actually control mixture and if you set them at about 5% the effect is to reduce N1 and hence prop thrust. Prior to take off they should be at full or 100% mixture. Of course if you set them at 0% the engines stop, so a  "Set" input is better than dragging.

The FSXA helo turbine can also have Condition Levers, but they do not affect N1 because that is controlled by the PID constants in the config file.

However, the beta_min method is probably easier.
Roy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print