Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FSDSv3.51 and 2048 Textures (Read 1932 times)
21st Jan, 2011 at 11:10pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

I have a new project where I finally want to use a couple of textures sized 2048 x 2048.  When I load them in FSDSv3.51 I get an error message saying they are too big.  I usually make 2 formats, one is DXT3 for use in FSDS as it shows OK.  The other copy is DXT5.dds which goes in the airplane texture folder. (This format looks totally wild in FSDS).  This process has worked all the time with 1024 textures.  How do I use 2048 textures with FSDS?

Thanks,  Paul

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 22nd Jan, 2011 at 1:07pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Resize your 2048x2048 texture(s) to 1024x1024 for use with FSDS. Use the 2048x2048 DXT5 texture(s) in the sim.

Dimensional information is not exported at all. As long as the x,y ratio is the same, you will have no problems.

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 22nd Jan, 2011 at 1:16pm

PutPut   Offline
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Thanks, Bill,  I was afraid to try that as I thought the mapping dimensions would be lost.  Since it works on ratios, then it isn't a problem. Smiley Smiley

Paul

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 28th Mar, 2013 at 3:37pm

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

It is only when you try and map a part to a texture that FSDS hit's you with this error. Once mapped you can edit, preview within FSDS with no issue. Also you might find it more productive to have 2 file sets. One is the master texture with layers and 2048 or higher so you can scale up the texture map generated by FSDS and then place onto that sheet - say the side of a fuselage. FSDS will only generate that template to a maximum of 512 pixels so you open that template, crop to size then  you can re size it to say 2020 and then place that on you master texture. Then to map the part simply convert the template master texture into a windows bmp and resize to 1024 x 1024. Then in FSDS you can map the part to the master that bmp that is re-sized. When done you can go back to the original image paint various layers and save and view the result in FSDS as you go without having to re-size. You do not need to save the master as DXT3, 5 OR DDS and then only covert the finished texture for the sim.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print