Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Templates with UVMapper Pro.. (Read 2232 times)
7th Feb, 2011 at 10:23pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I hate mapping.

Whether it's FSDS, gmax, AC3D, etc etc.....

Having said that, during my dabblings with Poser and DaZ3D, I've come across "UVMapper Pro" that with a few clicks provides a template of a particular "material" (i.e., part) that I can then assign "easierly"  in FSDS..

Caveat:  Since it was created for use with POSER, it imports only wavefront *.obj meshes - but that's not an issue with the CVA exporter from fsc to obj.  You don't need to export it back to fsc, since you can save the texture map/image.

For the strict purpose of creating the template(s), you don't need more than the demo version, which will save the image map.  However, the program has some additional features that are only activated after registering.

I've been mapping the different bits, part by parts (you CAN select several parts and map them together - the fuselage/fin/rudder are separates) and then scale/move the bits around on the image to place them  ---  basically the UVW unwrap modifer for gmax ...

for more information and to download the program:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 8th Feb, 2011 at 9:59am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

and I do recognize that the different mapping/templates above are not arranged in the best way.

The program appears to want to have everything mapped on one texture sheet.  In the above example, I've left the fuselage too small - etc etc.

When redoing the mapping - I will rescale so that the top/bottom is the same (relative) scale as the fuselage, and probably the wings ....

As to assigning the textures back in FSDS, I'll probably end up splitting the parts to match the templates.

Oh, and according to the site's documentation, you can also use the program as a viewer for 2D image programs. ... they show an example of the map in Photoshop, and the 3D view in UVMapper Pro.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 8th Feb, 2011 at 9:27pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Quote:
As to assigning the textures back in FSDS, I'll probably end up splitting the parts to match the templates.

Doing just that.  I sprung to register the program.  It has some minor mesh manipulation features (again, character modelling), but the main help to me is the accurate mapping of the textures/templates.

Now, if I could get a mapped obj file into FSDS ....

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 9th Feb, 2011 at 11:53pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

More and more it really is looking (to me) as a UVunwrap/wrap) editor for FSDS... although you do have to go through the conoluted export, etc.  But I stick to my Ludditeness!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 14th Feb, 2011 at 8:06am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

You know, this program is actually helping me understand gmax UVW mapping  a whole lot better.

The problem I was having with THIS program is that I only have that one big square on which to map EVERYTHING.  Well, obviously, if I want to have a large enough mapped set of wings, top/bottom and fuselage, then to fit the whole model in the one image/square would result in the mappings being too small for painting.

So, I create groups of parts in UVMapper Pro - the wings from one group, main fuselage bits form another, and I can hide/unhide as needed, and use up the same areas over and over - just in different groups/"levels"  - which are hidden/unhidden as needed.  When I go to create a texture template, I leave only the desired group - say the "wings"  - unhidden and "save"  the bitmap.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 14th Feb, 2011 at 1:35pm

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

I downloaded this, and trying to figure out how it works...Looks like a awsome tool for FSDS though.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 14th Feb, 2011 at 1:47pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

flwpheonix wrote on 14th Feb, 2011 at 1:35pm:
I downloaded this, and trying to figure out how it works...Looks like a awsome tool for FSDS though.

I agree, it would be more of a help for FSDS users, since the conversion is "one way" .. until a way can be found to convert the mapped object to an fsc source file and import it directly.

Since the program only works with the obj format, the hoops needed to export and import a mapped file from/to gmax is more work than getting one's head about the UVW Wrapping/Unwrapping.

(Now, someone working to map a model for X-plane, ....)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print