Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bell 407 with gmax (Read 8911 times)
28th Feb, 2011 at 2:12am

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

Well, my graphics card finally forced me to learn Gmax, as FSDS will no longer display correctly....So...again! From the beginning!  Shocked
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 28th Feb, 2011 at 8:06pm

BrandonF   Offline
Point Pusher
The Future of Flight
Earth...Duh!!!

Now that is looking much better!  Shocked

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU  E7200 @ 2.53GHz | 4GB RAM | two NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT | Windows 7 64 bit | FSX Acceleration
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 28th Feb, 2011 at 9:47pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

This Topic was moved here from WIP - Works in Process by Felix/FFDS.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 1st Mar, 2011 at 12:11pm

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

Update...chin windows and front windshield have been cut along with doors....

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 1st Mar, 2011 at 4:11pm

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

Got the tailboom added..Finally got it right where the rear fuselage section meets the tailboom...

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 3rd Mar, 2011 at 3:03am

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

Well, one thing I have learned with FSDS is to save my work in increments in case I screw something up.. So I have carried that over with Gmax, and boy am I glad I did....After booleaning all the windows that were on the doors, I came to the conclusion that they were completely wrong....
Now they are fixed...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 3rd Mar, 2011 at 10:56am

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

You do know that Max/GMax will automatically increment your file saves, right?

There are several ways this can be done, but the simplest is to tell Max/GMax precisely what you want in the way of backups, incremental saves, etc. By setting this up once, there's no possible way to lose your work other than a complete hard drive or controller failure!

Open Customize/Preference Settings/Files:

Quote:
File Handling-
[/] Backup on Save
[/] Increment on Save

Auto Backup-
[/] Enable
Number of Autobak files: [ n ] (where n is the number you want)
Backup Interval (minutes [ 5.0 ] (saves every 5 minutes)

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 3rd Mar, 2011 at 2:44pm

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

Cool! Thanks for the tip!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 4th Mar, 2011 at 2:35pm

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 4th Mar, 2011 at 4:17pm

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

Tweaking the engine cowling some more...

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 5th Mar, 2011 at 9:13pm

Mark958   Offline
LDV Engineer
I'm still learning.
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Looks to me like you have made the transition from FSDS to gmax easily and you are doing very well with it already.

Your Bell 407 is looking really nice Nate. Keep up the good work.

Mark

Be happy! Life's too short not to be!

Core i7 870, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia 1280MB GTX470, 24" LCD, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD & 1 x 320GB External HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 6th Mar, 2011 at 9:12am

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

Thanks Mark! Ya, Gmax is easier for me as it seems I can make what I visualize a lot easier...The cowling is an example of that. There is only so much you can do with a 3 view. The rest has to come from pics. I did run into a issue last night though as I went to try to compile it, and got a nasty error...Luckily, I was able to catch Fr. Bill online thru FB and he was able to correct it with minimal readjustments on my side again...Plus he was nice enough to rescale it Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 6th Mar, 2011 at 12:08pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Here's one more TIP:

The "Tape Measure" is your friend. Find it and use it as often as necessary to model everything to proper scale to begin with...  Cool

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 7th Mar, 2011 at 4:17pm

flwpheonix   Offline
LDV Engineer
Nate Rosenstrauch    
               Helo Designer

Ok Fr. Bill...so where is this tape measure?

Spent the evening cleaning up the model...So far it hasn't been re-poisoned I did inadvertently hit mesh smooth and spent the next 3 hours cleaning up rogue polys and rebuilding them. Why didn't I just hit CTL-Z? I realized only after doing more work... Roll Eyes Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 7th Mar, 2011 at 5:07pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

The tape measure is under the "HELPERS" tab....

the sub-icon looks like a tape measure.

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print