Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squashed Cub Revisited (Read 2318 times)
19th Mar, 2011 at 10:28pm

Mechanic   Offline
Polygon Twister
Yes, it's a Cuban
California, USA

Now that I have my models functioning in FSX my next step is texturing. I can make some nice texture maps using the UVW Unwrap and Photoshop that look great when rendering but are shifted out of place when viewed in FSX, so I started perusing the forum and found the Squashed Cub thread. The last reply from Bill was an Ah-ha moment and prompted me to try this as it was reminiscent of Neuick’s Texture Mapping in gMax.

Up until now my method of creating textures was using the Unwrap UVW modifier and in the editor I would use flatten mapping with settings as needed or the normal mapping depending on my needs. Using a setting of 1024 x 1024 and uniformly scaling the all the elements and fitting them into place on the square I would render a UVW template, save it and add it as a layer in my PSD map. I would do the same for the next aircraft part using the saved PSD as the texture in the Unwrap editor until I filled up the 1024 square. The textures after painting and applied looked great in the Max viewports.

Fr. Bill wrote on 3rd Oct, 2009 at 12:12pm:
Okay, let me now add the one exception to my previous comment regarding the UVW Map's Gizmo...

The only time it is truly useful is if you want to rotate your mesh map 180º (i.e., have the mesh "upside down" on the texture template... which is a practice I almost never use...

The "handle" of the UVW Map is the "top" and the green edge is the "right side" of the texture.

Here is the sequence I use whenever I'm not mapping by material id numbers...

1. Left Viewport, select desired polys, add a UVW Map to the stack, "square up" the UVW Map in the rollout's dialog.

1a.
*in subsequent steps, right-click and select Paste to place a fresh copy of the same size UVW Map on the stack!

2. Select UVW Map entry in the stack, right-click, and Copy it to the clipboard

3. Add a UVW Unwrap modifier to the stack, click on Edit, select all mesh verticies and move them outside the square box temporarily.

4. Change to my next Viewport (such as Right Viewport), repeat steps 1a and 3 above until all polys have been mapped.

5. Add a new Poly Select (or Mesh Select) modifier, select ALL POLYS, add a new UVW Unwrap modifier.

6. Click on Edit, then arrange all the mapped mesh verticies around to make the most efficient use of the available space.

NOTE: if you need to resize any of the mapped mesh, be sure you select ALL the vertices before using the Uniform Scale tool. This way every UVW Map will have the exact same scaling!  Cool

Everything was going according to plan but Bill lost me at #6. I used the top left wing of my Grumman Duck and followed steps 1 through 4 mapping top surface, bottom, and aileron cut out so I had three UVW Mappings each with their own Unwrap and elements moved out of the square. I then added the Poly Select modifier to the top of the stack etc. then I open the UVW Unwrap Editor and…….? I have something different then the poly maps I made in the lower sections of the stack. I am fairly well acquainted with the editor so I am at a loss as what to do next. What is the relationship between the last UVW Unwrap and all the rest in the stack and how do I join them?

Mechanic Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 20th Mar, 2011 at 1:56pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

It appears you forgot the last two "steps" of #5:
Quote:
5. Add a new Poly Select (or Mesh Select) modifier,
select ALL POLYS, add a new UVW Unwrap modifier.

6. Click on Edit, then arrange all the mapped mesh verticies around to make the most efficient use of the available space.

By selecting ALL polys, then adding a NEW "UVW Unwrap" modifier, you are essentially grabbing all of the previously created UVW Maps into one chunk.

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 20th Mar, 2011 at 7:30pm

Mechanic   Offline
Polygon Twister
Yes, it's a Cuban
California, USA

I’m sorry for not being clear enough; the etc. meant the rest of the steps in line 5.
A picture is worth a thousand 1000 pixels, in this case 655,350 pixels.
Maybe this will help you figure out what I am doing wrong. I selected each section of polygons from the original sub object level. Should I have added a new Poly Select to the stack each time I selected a section? Undecided

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mechanic Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 20th Mar, 2011 at 7:53pm

Mechanic   Offline
Polygon Twister
Yes, it's a Cuban
California, USA

I got it! I needed to use a new Poly Select every time. It worked out this time. We will have to add that little item to your steps. Stick around, you'll probably have to hold my hand through the rest of this.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 21st Mar, 2011 at 12:57pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Oh dear! It does seem that I left out a very critical step...  Embarrassed

Here is what the stack should look like when done properly:
Quote:
+ Unwrap UVW   (last step: arrange all unwrapped polys)
+ Poly Select   (
ALL
Polys!)

+ Unwrap UVW
+ UVW Mapping
+ Poly Select   (second set of polys)

+ Unwrap UVW
+ UVW Mapping
+ Poly Select   (first set of polys)

+ Editable Poly
« Last Edit: 22nd Mar, 2011 at 10:17am by Fr. Bill »  

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 21st Mar, 2011 at 3:36pm

Mechanic   Offline
Polygon Twister
Yes, it's a Cuban
California, USA

Fr. Bill wrote on 21st Mar, 2011 at 12:57pm:
+ Unwrap UVW   (last step: arrange all unwrapped polys)
+ UVW Mapping
+ Poly Select   (
ALL
Polys!)

+ Unwrap UVW
+ UVW Mapping
+ Poly Select   (second set of polys)

+ Unwrap UVW
+ UVW Mapping
+ Poly Select   (first set of polys)

+ Editable Poly

I hate to correct the teacher since you taught me so much Bill, but you can't add the last UVW Mapping after selecting all the polys, you have to go directly to the Unwrap UVW otherwise it will only select the prvious UVW Mapping in the stack and not the others. I know this because I made the mistake last night.

Yours is a different mapping method albeit better then mine which I thought I was creating incorrectly but it turned out I still had my original problem of misaligned textures. After much finagling around I realized my maps were upside down and I found the flip switch in the PSD to DDS conversion menu, (dope slap). Another hard fought bit of learning.

I sure wish there was a comprehensive manual for doing all this in relation to Flight Simulator, that would really be worth something to a person like me, hungry for knowledge, impatient and wanting to fly all my models before I die of old age, especially flying my X-3 in FSX, but that’s a whole other story into the realm of FDs.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

So on to my next question, LODs? How do I implement them into my model with the ExportLOD tool? The SDK has little to say about LODs and what it does is rather cryptic to me.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 22nd Mar, 2011 at 10:34am

Fr. Bill   Offline
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Argh! That's what happens when one takes shortcuts with copy/paste and doesn't pay attention...

I've edited my previous post to remove the erroneous UVW Mapping from the stack tree.

LODs for flyable models are completely useless, unless you plan on having dozens of 'em fly around as AI aircraft...

...and even then I'd create a separate, simplified model strictly for AI use.

But, to answer your question, creating LODs is really simple. You are already familiar with the concept of hierarchy I'm sure, and that's all that's involved. The LOD tool has nothing to do with it, BTW.

In simplest terms, you create multiple models, and Link the parts for each model to a LOD_xxx node. So a sample hierarchy would look like this:

Code:
LOD_400
...fuselage
...wings
...etc.
LOD_100
...fuselage_01
...wings_01
...etc._01
LOD_040
...fuselage_02
...wings_02
...etc._02

When in the sim, the parts for LOD_400 will be used until the size of the aircraft in any exterior view uses 100 or less pixels on the screen... which would most likely be limited to Tower View.  Roll Eyes

If the aircraft is 40 or less pixels in any exterior view, then these parts would be displayed. At this LOD the fuselage and wings are essentially a "balsa model" (i.e., simple flat polygons).

Fr. Bill
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print