Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grumman J2F-5 Duck (Read 2216 times)
7th Apr, 2011 at 10:20pm

Mechanic   Offline
Polygon Twister
Yes, it's a Cuban
California, USA

This is not my first model but it is the first that I have been able to actually fly in FSX thanks to all the help I received from the forum members and especially Fr. Bill who has been invaluable in the learning process. My first flyable model was made with FSDS for FS2000, an X-3. This model (Grumman J2F-5 Duck) is made in 3ds Max 9 and I am using Photoshop CS5 with the Nvidia plugins for the textures. I still have a lot of fiddly bits (as Slartibartfast would say) to make on the external model and I am learning about textures which is very difficult for me at this time. I’ve started on the VC which is another learning curve I need to master. I intend on making several versions of the aircraft from the 1 to 6 and X models. Of course I have started textures for the Mount Kyle version but with a -5 model because they used a -6 for the movie and the Brits didn’t use the -6.

Trying to find detailed images and information on this aircraft has not been all that fruitful and I even had the nerve to contact Northrop Grumman for information with the usual results (No Reply), I say usual because I asked Sukhoi in the past about a different model with the same results.

This model is intended to be freeware, available to anyone interested, and I invite those who might be interested in helping the development in this WWII vintage for their assistance in any way. In the mean time I will continue to post my developments. I am also open to any and all constructive criticism.

Other models under development for FSX that will be forthcoming are the Douglas X-3 Stiletto, Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket, Royal Aircraft Factory BE-2e and the Sukhoi SU-37 carrier version.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mechanic Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 8th Apr, 2011 at 10:53am

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Nicely done so far! Smiley

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 23rd Apr, 2011 at 11:28pm

Mechanic   Offline
Polygon Twister
Yes, it's a Cuban
California, USA

There is a freeware version of the Grumman Duck on SOH and Icarusgold released a payware version of the duck. I was a little bit upset with this because I wanted a model that wasn’t already out there since I have spent so much time on this one.
Note; this model is and always was meant to be freeware.
I thought I would spend more time on my other models. Upon closer inspection of the above mentioned models I got my confidence back and have continued work on my model of the duck. Not to put down what they have done because it is quite excellent and I have yet to achieve the texturing and VC work that they have, but I have hopes. I will post some update pictures in the near future. I have got quite a bit of the external textures done and well on my way building the VC. A lot of my time has gone into creating a pilot figure as well, being a very different way of modeling needed.

A question for the forum administrators, can I post my questions about design, textures, CFG’s, etc. with relation to this model in this thread or would it be preferable to post them as separate threads in their appropriate forum headings?

Happy Easter Egg Hunting

Mechanic Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 19th Jul, 2011 at 5:50pm

Mechanic   Offline
Polygon Twister
Yes, it's a Cuban
California, USA

Some pictures of the VC as it is so far and basically un-textured, I’ve given up on textures for a while because I keep changing construction and that throws out the UVWs. Pilot left side is done. For my first VC I had to pick something this complicated….dope slap. It’s fully animated, all levers and linkage. This is based on what photos I have. It seems there is very little out there on the J2F-5. I purchased some manuals from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register which were helpful but limited on photos. If anybody knows of a place that offers more in-depth information please let me know.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 30th Sep, 2011 at 3:17am

Mechanic   Offline
Polygon Twister
Yes, it's a Cuban
California, USA

Here are some pictures of the current state of the model. The engine is in the shop for a major overhaul. The external textures are almost done. I still have a lot of work to do on the VC but it's coming along.
These images are large, 3000x1800 mainly to see if the exterior holds up on close inspection. You can right click and save the picture to your computer for better viewing if you wish.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print