Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Model file size using FSDSxTweak, FSXA, FSDS 3.5.1 (Read 14964 times)
26th May, 2011 at 5:17pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Whever I recompile a model using FSDSxTweak the mdl file is quite a bit larger than the one output by FSDS. For instance I had  some scenery whose mdl and BGL files were around 178KB. I wanted to texture a small item so that it would be partially transparent so I ran it through Tweak and got a mdl size of 3490KB!
Similarly, my interior and exterior airplane mdl files gain around 1000K, for example 2353KB, no Tweak and 3490 post Tweak.

Is there anyway to prevent this happening?

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 26th May, 2011 at 9:11pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

WOW!  This is most unusual.  My current project shows the .mdl gaining only about 20-50k adding specular shine and backlights to the panel gauges.  Shocked

Best,  Paul

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 5th Jun, 2011 at 12:04am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Hi Roy

Man, that is odd. Any chance I can have a look at your files to see what's going on?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 26th Jun, 2011 at 5:56pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Hi Dave,
I can send you the scenery models, but I do not know how to upload them in this forum. I could email them to you. I just repeated the compile, 161KB straight, 3490KB through Tweak.

Apologies for the delay in replying was on vacation for 3 weeks
Roy

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 27th Jun, 2011 at 4:31pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

You can email them to me to dave.nunez.za@gmail.com

Please send me:

1. The untweaked .x file (should be temp.x in your FSDS folder I think)
2. The tweaked .x file (should be exterior.x in your FSDS folder).

These files are created every time you compile, so just do a compile and you should have a fresh set.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 28th Jun, 2011 at 2:13am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Ok, had a look at the files - they look correct. The actual difference between the tweaked and untweaked .x files is minimal, so it is xtomdl which is causing the increase in size. I don't know why, but I'm thinking it must be normal (we are giving it a valid .x file, and it is doing its magic and spitting out a valid .mdl file). The tweaks are fairly substantial (add additive textures etc), so perhaps the MDL file contains a bunch of extra illumination data baked into it. Dunno  Grin

&&
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 28th Jun, 2011 at 7:26am

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

The .kfg file has only two texture definitions. What I'll do is use a blank .kfg file and see what happens. Either way the .MDL must be full of white space. Just curious why the file is always 3490KB irrespective of what is modelled.

It has to be something in the tweaked .X file that causes XtoMdl to do this.

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 28th Jun, 2011 at 8:29am

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

I opened the 3490KB .MDL file. There was very little white space, but it included a large section on animations! There are no animations in the scenery.

I can only conclude that Tweak put them there, but how?. Is there a way to purge old data from being inserted into new files?

I went through the two .X files side by side and they are essentially similar, with no active animations listed.

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 28th Jun, 2011 at 8:38am

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

I reduced the .kfg file to:

[texture.0]
identifier=Gen_patio_furniture.dds

compiled again same result 3490KB .MDL with Tweak,
161KB without.

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 28th Jun, 2011 at 9:28am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Hang on, what was the KFG that gave you the big file? Looking at the .x files, I see that the Gen_patio_furniture.dds is the only material being changed.

Not sure why animations would be added - I am only changing the FS10Material block, so there should be no effect on animatons, unless some default setting is forcing animations to be added due to lighting calculations or something similar.

&&
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 28th Jun, 2011 at 3:43pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

The animation in the .MDL is confusing. It appears to include animations from other projects where I used Tweak, like rotors from a SeaKing project and ailerons from a Jet Provost project.

With the Sapphire project (scenery) I'm only building the exterior model and I left the paths to the interior model unchanged from the SeaKing project. I then renamed the SeaKing .kfg files and got a nice red warning. However I am not generating interior models so it was probably a waste of time to do that. Plus it had no effect on the 3490KB issue.

What default setting should I look for?

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 28th Jun, 2011 at 7:39pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Do you have a _exterior.xanim file lying around the FSDS directory? If so, rename it to something else and try to recompile.

&&
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 28th Jun, 2011 at 8:06pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

I did have one from May. renamed it, recompiled in FSDS and then through Tweak and still have 3490KB in the scenery directory with the correct time and date. The _exterior.MDL file in FSDS is also 3490KB and the _temp.MDL from a minute earlier is 161KB.

Guess you saw the image of the build_exterior.bat file I emailed.

Regards
Roy

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 29th Jun, 2011 at 7:08pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Dave,
As an experiment, I copied the _exterior.x file into the directory containing XToMdl.exe. Dropped it on XToMdl and got _exterior.MDL size 90KB. I opened it with ModelConvertorX and it looked correct.

Regards
Roy

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 30th Jun, 2011 at 1:23pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Ok, so 99% chance that it is related to how I do the animations. Here is what I do:

1. I assumed people would only be building aircraft, not scenery (  Cheesy yeeha everybody is just like meee!! ). Admittedly, not very smart.

2. With every single compile, I pick up the animation files (.xanim), and add them as arguments to the call into xtomdl

3. I was expecting at first that if the .x file does not reference the animation in the .xnaim file, it would not be baked in - but I think you've just proved that it bakes the lot in Smiley

This should be an easy fix actually - just need to add a "noanim" option which scenery builders can use. Let me work on that this weekend, and I will send you a buddy build to test.

&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print