Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Model file size using FSDSxTweak, FSXA, FSDS 3.5.1 (Read 16940 times)
Reply #30 - 8th Jul, 2011 at 3:18am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Wow, good find. Sounds like a bum install of FSDS, hope reinstalling works. If not, there is a way you coould force tweak to delete the autosave file before it does it's work, which should help (in fsdsxtweak_plugin there is an advanced option called 'pre tweak step' or something similar, you can add there a .bat file which deletes the dst).

Let us know how it goes, and I can give you more specific instructions on how to do the above if you need.

Oh, and a screenshot of the seaking please!  Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #31 - 9th Jul, 2011 at 4:18pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Dave,
Based on successful compilations of two different helos, I'm about to declare victory!

What I did before compiling was to delete all temporary models, .x files and .xanim files from the FSDS root directory, so I started with a clean slate. Did the FSDS compile and the Tweak one in two steps, ext then int.

That way there was no data pertaining to earlier compiles that somehow has been appended to the Tweaked models.

Bit of a bore to have to do that, but it makes sense to have a clean slate before compiling.

Regards
Roy

IP Logged

Reply #32 - 11th Jul, 2011 at 6:55pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Interesting. Would it help to have the option to have fsdsxtweak_plugin delete all the temporary files after it is done tweaking/compiling?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
&&
IP Logged

Reply #33 - 12th Jul, 2011 at 3:59pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

I believe it would help if the Tweaked files from the previous compile were deleted BEFORE the next Tweak compilation, since I am of the opinion that (somehow) they affect the next compilation.

Lets say I have a BIG model. If I have deleted all temp files and compile it over and over again during development (without further deletion), the Tweaked MDL files are perfect.

If I then have a SMALL model and compile it without deleting temp files which were from the last BIG compile, the Tweaked MDL for SMALL is the same size as that for BIG. It contains portions of the BIG model sufficient to make it the BIG size.

If I go back to the BIG model without deletions, the MDL is the right size for BIG and includes no SMALL details.

If I delete all temp files and compile the SMALL model it is the correct size and the Tweaked mdl is perfect.

So I think if the last Tweaked files were deleted BEFORE the Tweak compile, especially when changing to a smaller project, that could have the same result as I get by deleting ALL temp files.

To prove this theory, I compiled the BIG model, which was fine, then deleted the two Tweak .MDL files only. Compiled the SMALL model and it was correct.

You could achieve the same thing by deleting the Tweaked AFTER the Tweak, because it would be the same as deleting BEFORE the next one.

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #34 - 13th Jul, 2011 at 9:32pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Doing this before is not possible, because we rely on some of the temp files for tweaking and compilation - but after is pretty easy - all the functionality needed is already there.

I've detailed the steps in a blog post:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

&&
IP Logged

Reply #35 - 14th Jul, 2011 at 7:29pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Dave,
I followed the instructions in your blog. The temp files were not deleted. Entered pause at the end of the .bat and tried again.

This is just one line, rest are the same:
C:Program Files\Abacus\FSDS_V3.5>del..\_temp.x
Could not find C:Program Files\Abacus\_temp.x

Same happens if I run the bat by clicking on it.

However, if I copy the cleanup bat files to the plugins directory and click on them there they do delete the temp files.

I tried changing the path to plugins and deleted the clean up bats in the root.

Got the same answer.

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #36 - 14th Jul, 2011 at 8:41pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Dave,
Because I was convinced that the size issue related only to the previous _exterior.mdl and _interior.mdl and not the other temp files, I placed a .bat file in the plugins folder that was simply:
del ..\_exterior.mdl
del ..\_interior.mdl

pause

This works without error messages and does delete the referenced files.

If I run this after changing projects from BIG to SMALL, I get the correct SMALL .MDL file. It also preserves the Tweaked .X files which is helpful.

Since I only need to do this when changing projects, I have removed the post compile advanced entries in both exterior and interior sections of FSDSxTweak.

My problem is solved, end of thread. Can continue using FSDS, do not have to learn GMAX, very happy camper!

Many thanks for your inputs that lead me to the solution.

Regards
Roy

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 14th Jul, 2011 at 11:01pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Oh, no no no.... you're not getting off that easy - post a picture of your project!  Grin

&&
IP Logged

Reply #38 - 15th Jul, 2011 at 11:14am

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

del ..\_exterior.mdl
del ..\_interior.mdl

Those are invalid DOS parameters. Try this instead using the wildcard * which can represent any number of characters preceeding the _xxx.mdl filename:

del ..\*_exterior.mdl
del ..\*_interior.mdl

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #39 - 15th Jul, 2011 at 6:40pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

I tried del ..\*_exterior.mdl in the advanced post compile section and still got the "could not find" message.

Since del ..\_exterior.mdl works from the plugin folder and I only want to use it occasionally when changing projects, it serves my needs.

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #40 - 15th Jul, 2011 at 8:45pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

del ..\_exterior.mdl
is a completely legal DOS command  Smiley - it will delete the file one directory up called
_exterior.mdl
(which is the mdl file FSDSxTweak produces at the end of compilation).

Some of the lines in my sample bat file will give a file not found if you have not used all the available options - that bat tries delete everything, without caring to check if they exist first.

&&
IP Logged

Reply #41 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 8:19am

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

I think that explains why it does not work if the batch file is in the FSDS directory. The directory where the system was looking for and could not find was ABACUS, one up from FSDS. It does work if the batch file is in PLUGINS, one down from FSDS.

In your blog you placed the batch file in the FSDS directory, though you did mention that it was called from the PLUGINS directory.

I assume that the ..\ is what addresses the next directory up issue. If the batch file was in FSDS would you simply use del _exterior.mdl ?

I'm not great with DOS, hence the question

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #42 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 3:25am

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

Correct. In DOS the tree structure is:

here.mdl [current directory]
.\here.mdl [current directory also]
..\here.mdl [in parent directory - one up]
..\..\here.mdl [in parent of parent directory - two up]

You use this to navigate as much as you need, e.g.:
..\..\files\foo.txt [moves two up, then into files, then refer to foo.txt]

&&
IP Logged

Reply #43 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 5:29pm

Hunter10   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Dave,
Thanks for that.
You wanted some screenshots of the SeaKing. Problem is I really do not get the procedure for uploading files here

Roy

IP Logged

Reply #44 - 18th Jul, 2011 at 1:49pm

DaveNunez   Offline
YaBB Moderator
Seattle, Washington

If you email them to me, I can post for the others to see (you need a hosting account outside of the forum, and then link the pics into here)

&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print