Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nose Down Attitude (Read 1775 times)
22nd Oct, 2011 at 11:46pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

I am currently modeling the Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser.  The FDE is based on the default Piper J-3.   This gives it a decided nose down attitude when trimmed for level flight.  The real PA-12's that I have seen don't do this.  What parameters in the .cfg and or .air file control this?  I have fooled with wing and horizontal stab incidence with no success.

Thanks,  Paul

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 23rd Oct, 2011 at 1:25am

jimslost   Offline
LDV Engineer
The more I learn, the
less I know

I had an answer to this question on my old computer, which, unfortunately, fried itself in June.  I'll take a look at my paper notes tomorrow and see what I can find there.

In the meantime, I would recommend using a different airplane's .cfg and .air files for your starting point.  The J-3 flew with a fairly pronounced nose down attitude at cruising speed, especially if you found one that would go faster than 75 mph indicated (which was somewhat rare; the fastest J-3 I ever flew only cruised at 82 indicated). The Super Cruiser was noticeably faster than the J-3, and you are probably seeing exactly what would happen if you pushed the J-3 that fast.

It would be a lot of work changing all the other parameters, but you have my blessing to use the files from my Curtiss Robin as a starting point.  It's freeware, and if you can't find it at Avsim or Sim-Outhouse, I can send you the files if you're interested.

jim

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 23rd Oct, 2011 at 2:24pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Thanks for the kind offer.  However, I was able to achieve the desired results by substituting the Cessna 172 .air file with a few changes to keep the engine running at idle.  I had really forgotten how nose down the J-3 was, and I had several hours in one years ago.

Paul

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print