Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Specular problem (Read 1412 times)
20th Dec, 2011 at 5:34am

daveh   Offline
Polygon Twister
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Got a bit of a problem when applying specular to animated parts. Its an FSDS v3.5.1 model, using FSDSTweak to modify the materials. The parts are airbrakes, the pivot axis is about 30 degrees from the vertical. Animations work fine. The airbrake outer and fuselage were textured together.

When the mdl is first compiled (no tweaks, no specular) the airbrake texture blends with the fuselage (it looks ok). But after applying the spec the airbrake part looks very different. The following snapshot shows this. Part A is the actual airbrake, linked to an animated pivot. Part B is a copy of the exact same part, but not animated.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The following is the view on the opposite side. Same problem.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The next two show the same problem, but with with the aircraft position rotated some more. These look even worse!

It almost looks as if the parts should be on the opposite sides and possibly even inverted.

Why is this happening Sad

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 20th Dec, 2011 at 10:44am

daveh   Offline
Polygon Twister
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Mystery solved, I think. The 'tweak' file included refs to bump maps, but these do not exist yet. Removing this tweak seems to have fixed the problem  Smiley.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 20th Dec, 2011 at 2:22pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

daveh wrote on 20th Dec, 2011 at 10:44am:
Mystery solved, I think. The 'tweak' file included refs to bump maps, but these do not exist yet. Removing this tweak seems to have fixed the problem  Smiley.

If I plan to use bump maps, I always include a dummy xxx_bump.dds file in the a/c's ..\texture folder to prevent such as you've seen from happening.

I'm glad you found the problem so quickly! It took me several days to make the same discovery...  Tongue

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print