Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pseudo 3D artificial horizon for FS9 (Read 1988 times)
28th Dec, 2011 at 5:01am

Alexis   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

Since XML isn't my piece of cake, I thought of another way to make a 3D artificial horizon, without scripting.
-I modeled the part of the sphere that's visible to the pilot
-Unwrapped and stretched it a bit so that the texture won't "condense" itself when going off-centre
-Took an FS9 ADI gauge and removed everything but the horizon and its rotation-translation entries
-Mapped the horizon on the spherical part
-Got me a 3D-looking ADI

All I had to do from that point on was to model the A/C indicator.
The same trick can be done to make the F/D bars on top, but you can't hide the 2D effect there.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 13th Jan, 2012 at 3:09pm

FSafranek/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
FFDS Co-Founder
Escondido, CA, USA

Sounds interesting. Is this a stand-alone gauge? And is it for the 2D panel or VC? Would like to have a look.

Frank Safranek - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 23rd Jan, 2012 at 2:54am

Alexis   Offline
Point Pusher
I Love FFDS!

This is for the VC. you can use any ADI gauge on it but you'd have to use the background only. Then either model the needles and indicators in 3D, or use a couple of planes by applying another gauge with the needles only, to give a sense of depth. It isn't going to be real 3D, but it will do its job just fine. I'll give you a screenie later tonight, to see the resulting sphere.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print