Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S.m.a.r.t. data Repai ... NOT! (Read 3074 times)
3rd May, 2012 at 8:09pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Main computer got hit with the S.M.A.R.T. Datas repair malware/virus, so it's in the shop  (I don't trust myself with that deep troubleshooting - especiaslly after I ended up reformatting and reloading my HD after trying to troubleshoot a non-functioning laser printer.. (changing the toner cartridge fixed the problem that time).  Fortunately, I fired up the iPad(2) and identified the problem before I started doing serious damage.

Oh yeah, this happened right after McAfee Anti Virus had updated itself.   

I should consider myself lucky.  This is the first time I get any nastiness, and it could have been worse!

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 9th May, 2012 at 12:25pm

Fr. Bill   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I used to have a life:
now I have GMax...
Hammond, IN

Ouch! Fortunately for me thus far I've not had any form of virus infect any of my computers...

...of course, since I just said this outloud, now I'm probably doomed!  Grin

Fr. Bill
Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4 GB DDRII Crucial PC6400-500 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 9th May, 2012 at 7:36pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Got it cleaned up and (re)testing the waters.

Am getting the video freeze on some graphics programs (FSDS/ Sketchup) so am taking it slow...

Felix/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 9th May, 2012 at 11:46pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Sounds like a new pooter in your future Felix Smiley
Im sick of the google redirect virus,I seem to get a ver of it ever few mths no idea where from.......I now just clonezilla the whole partition every couple of weeks,then restore the image when I get a virus...Ive wasted far to much of my time trying to kill/clean em Cheesy
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 10th May, 2012 at 11:27am

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Au-MaV wrote on 9th May, 2012 at 11:46pm:
Sounds like a new pooter in your future Felix Smiley

Have been thinking about that.  Current main PC is over six years old (pre-Vista).  HAve been thinking about one of the All-In-Ones with touch screen ...  but the problem is if something goes wrong, the whole thing has to go back to the shop...

Quote:
I now just clonezilla the whole partition every couple of weeks,then restore the image when I get a virus..

"..and how do you do that ??" said the technologically challenged Inspector.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 10th May, 2012 at 9:52pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

Hi Felix
Download the latest clonezilla iso
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

if you dont have a iso burning software try image burn
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

use image burn to burn the conezilla image onto a dvd or cd
when finished and you want to back up just place the dvd/CD in the drive make sure you have boot from cd as your first boot drive then start the system ...
Just follow the prompts most of the defaults will be fine

you will be prompted for a backup drive it has to be a different drive from the main one, I use an external usb drive,You can save just a single partion or the whole drive.Just be careful when selecting the different drives Wink
It sounds complicated but its not, just read the prompts carefully.
Only real limitation is you cant restore a image to a partion or drive smaller than source drive...
Cheers
Wozza

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 10th May, 2012 at 10:03pm

Felix/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
It is my solemn duty to
obfuscate and confuse.
YaBB Admin Land

Thanks... will read into it.

I had to put my old(er) PC to sleep today.  Motherboard finally gave up the ghost.  At least I've recovered the hard drives (2x80MB, so wow!)... 

So, conceivably, I can still setup FSDS 1.3, 2, FS SCenery Deisgner (bet few of you remember that short lived FSDS variant, AD2000, AD2002... and sundry others...

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10th May, 2012 at 10:10pm

Au-MaV   Offline
Whatcha lookin at
Adelaide South Australia

lol 2X80 meg hd Ive got sd cards bigger than those Cheesy
Ive got one of these Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
think it still works but its used as a door stop these days Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 22nd May, 2012 at 9:46am

mariopilot   Offline
Fly to Live, Live to Fly
Carasco, Italy, Genova

AD2000 and AD2002, brings back lots of memories... one model I built there back in 2003 still refuses to die...!

Mariopilot
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print