Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
[FSX] 2048px for $VCockpit gauge polygons? (Read 1166 times)
17th Dec, 2012 at 6:21am

mariopilot   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
Fly to Live, Live to Fly
Carasco, Italy, Genova

Hi All,
The title should be pretty much self-explanatory, but to be clear:
I wanted to increase gauge resolution in a design of mine, so I bumped to 2048px both Pixel_size and size_mm in the VCockpitXX inside Panel.cfg. I then proceeded to multiply by 2 the positional/dimensional entries of a single gauge to place it back properly into the new resolution. This was correct as the re-positioned main PFD showed up in the right place while all the other gauges were half-sized and wrongly positioned as expected. However, by taking tw2o screenshots of the PFD gauge in the original 1024px virtual cockpit and in the new 2048px one, they appeared identical. No resolution increase whatsoever. Note that the PFD gauge is XML programmed and fully vectorial. Not a single bitmap is used in that particular gauge. Loading the gauge in a 2D pop-up and stretching it, it remains crisp even when expanded to fit the whole monitor (as expected).
I suspect that here FS-X is down-scaling the $VCockpit area back to 1024px. I believe it is not a CFG problem as loading normal 2048px textures (not for gauge polygons) works totally fine. in FSX.cfg TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096.
Am I missing something, or did I crash into a FS-X limitation?

Mariopilot
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 18th Dec, 2012 at 5:19pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Hi, Mario,  I have never tried $VCGauge polys larger than 1024 x 1024.  I really don't know why and a quick look at the SDK doesn't say anything about larger than 1024.  Your experiment does seem to indicate FSX does have some kind of limit.
When I have a resolution problem with the gauge faces I just split the gauge layout into 2 or even 3 sections and apply a separate $VCGauge poly to each.  That certainly does sharpen the gauges.

Best,  Paul

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 10th Feb, 2013 at 10:41pm

euroastar350   Offline
Point Pusher
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I am using a 2048x1024 pixel VC texture in my Bell 222 with no problems

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 11th Feb, 2013 at 2:06pm

Tom/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Jets are for kids!

Hi,

I don't think that FSX will actually use VC panel textures larger than 1024.  It just scales larger images to its max.  FS9 does a similar thing with larger textures that have mipmaps - it just uses the 1024 mipmap.

Tom Gibson

California Classic Propliners: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

AlcoHauler Locomotive Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

San Diego Model RR Museum: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print