Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!

FFDS Home | TIPS Section | Tutorials Section | Resources Section | Utilities Section

Military | FSDS | Jetliners | Real Planes Section | Gmax | Rotorcraft | Business | Civilian

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FSX Acceleration and FSDS attach-points Solved ? (Read 2090 times)
28th Mar, 2013 at 3:16pm

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

OK After posting here and other forums but not getting much luck I think I have now solved the problem with the default acceleration attach-points (catapults, wires etc) and after a few tests on a current project they work. All 4 Cat’s, Blast Shields, wires etc.
To achieve this you must be competent with using FSDSxTweak, Model Converter X and also understand the SDK.
I will post my results as soon as I get time but anybody pulling hair out as I have done trying to achieve this can contact me for a brief explanation but I will not offer tutorials on the required tweak programs.
I am not sure how many have been as frustrated as me in trying to achieve this but with a bit of time and knowledge you can build FULLY FUNCTIONAL CARRIERS with FSDS for FSX.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 29th Mar, 2013 at 2:29pm

Tom/FFDS   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Jets are for kids!

Glad to hear it.  Perhaps posting at a site like Simviation would also be useful?

Thanks,

Tom Gibson

California Classic Propliners: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

AlcoHauler Locomotive Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

San Diego Model RR Museum: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 31st Mar, 2013 at 2:54pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

FSDSman,  Please check your PM's.

Best,  Paul

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 16th Apr, 2013 at 9:08am

FSDSMAN   Offline
LDV Engineer
This was ment to be fun
The Garden Of England

OK Here is a brief explanation on how to achieve this.
Firstly attach points do not work in the compile natively as I am sure than anybody who uses Dave's FSDSxTweak is fully aware. Also with the tweak program you will get lots of error messages when you re-compile with that after first initial FSDS compile. I point out YOU MUST COMPILE NATIVE FOR FSX.
The Solution:
Firstly read the manual with FSDSxTweak I am not here to tell you how to use that program.
Next point is the ONLY ATTACH POINTS THAT COMPILE WITHOUT ERRORS ARE :- "_attachbyname_attachpt_runway_start"
"_attachbyname_attachpt_runway_end"
"_attachbyname_attachpt_runway_edge"
This is because of the naming convention used.
Now for the rest of the acceleration attach points you still need to add them to the model (save a lot of effort later) but re-name them into something unique - like "_attachbyname_attachpt_cableone_start" and "_attachbyname_attachpt_cableone_end" and so on. This achieves 2 things, firstly the attach points are generated after the FSDSxTweek is run and will be located in the correct position on your model.
2 very important things to remember ALL ATTACH POINTS SHOULD BE ORIENTATED IN FSDS WITH THE Z AXIS POINTING UP.
SECONDLY THE CATAPULT ATTACHPOINTS MUST HAVE A CAPITAL "C" IN THE NAME "_attachbyname_attachpt_Catapult_start_one"
The reason for the Z rotation and re-naming the attach points is simple -AFTER COMPILE YOU MUST THEN TWEAK AGAIN BUT USE Model Converter X.
So providing you have done everything correctly when you import the mdl file into model converter x you simply go to the attachpoint tool.
Because you have named the attach points and also because "Z" is facing up the attach points will have the correct orientation, be in the correct place on the model and ready for the final part.
Simply select each attachpoint that you gave the incorrect name to and then re-name to the correct attachpoint name so "attachpt_cableone_start" is renamed "attachpt_cable_1_1.
Complete this on all incorrectly named parts the simply export the model back into FSX as a mdl file.
IT does work and has been tested on my current project - all shields, wires and CATS work.
BTW Some of you are familiar with the problems default named parts give in the modeldef file so I would recommend creating new parts for the blast shields with unique names but use the same variables given to avoid the "lever_throttle_one" issue.
I hope this helps those of us still banging away with FSDS.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 16th Apr, 2013 at 5:43pm

PutPut   Offline
Inspecteur des Polygonnes
I have a life; I still
use FSDS!
Long Beach, Ca.

Thanks for the info.  I tried the catapult per your instructions and it works.  I have not tried the wires, yet.

Best,  Paul

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print